Wednesday 21 October 2015

First Impressions - day 2


Day 2

The next day we went on a shopping trip. We thanked Wendy for an amazing breakfast and eagerly set off. A warm breeze flicked around in the air as we huffed up an almost vertical hill. Baby chickens ran around crazily on the dusty road, calling wildly to their mothers. People sitting in tiny stores waiting for customers stared at us and our white skin as we headed onward. A mum washing her children from just one pot of water. A blind old man in rags staggered down the street with pot holes, almost falling into the road. Children without shoes raced in between beeping cars.

We were only half way but already my legs were aching and I was burning hot. I felt ill with fever and I couldn't bare to walk any further. Mum handed me a bottle of water.

You need to drink or you'll get dehydrated.” She urged.

I held the bottle to my lips and lifted it up carefully. The water trickled into my mouth sending a wave of refreshment through my body, I was ready to carry on the journey.

We finally made it to the shop. We grabbed a trolley and went ballistic, buying everything we would need for at least a week. No one else really had a trolley. They just carried small bags that could only fit in a days worth of food, they couldn't afford anything bigger. Guilt rushed into my heart. Why do we have to be the ones who are rich and don't need to worry that much about life?

We decided to take a taxi back to the flat. All the way I was thinking of back at home in England and of adverts on television about poor children that need help and money, but now they were in front of my very eyes. So we need to help them.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for posting a message to my blog. I will check who you are and if I know you and your message is printable, it will soon appear on my blog. Thanks for posting!